Patent drafting is an art work. Its expertise needs more relevant experience of drafting activities such as claims writing, drawing etc. For patent drafting of a given invention, sufficient knowledge of techno-legal background is necessarily required.
During a patent drafting in case of USPTO, following writing tips for patent attorney or patent agent that should be kept in mind because these are so helpful in writing smart specifications.
Tips for writing smart specifications
1. Title of invention
– Meaning of the title should be clear and precise.
– Length of the title should not be more than 20 words. For example, 5-7 words for title writing are frequently preferred.
– Main aim or purpose of the invention should be properly reflected by the title itself.
– Registered titles can be used again for newventions.
2. Field of invention
– Theme and purpose of the invention should be clearly stated.
– Classification of invention or technology (corresponding to its hierarchy) should be written properly.
– It reflects exact idea about the scope of invention to patent examiners.
3. Background of invention
– Analysis of advantages in comparison of pre-existing patents or prior arts should be written in a proper way.
– Background information of invention should be clearly stated in this part of patent application.
4. Object of invention
– Advantages or benefits should be described in a well delineated manner.
– Comparisons and resolved solutions of pre- existing problems related to invention field should be aptly discussed.
– All objectives of the invention should be written in separate sentences.
5. Statement of invention
This part acts as a base of claims writing. It gives idea about scope of the invention.
– Novelty features and technical applications should be clearly stated in this part of patent application.
6. Summary of invention
– Write about the comprehensive analysis of invention in a brief and precise way of representation.
– It provides information about structural and functional aspects, main objectives, summarized description of whole invention and independent claims.
7. Brief description of drawings
– Description related to drawings should be easy to understand.
– Always draw clean and neat markings of figures or diagrams.
8. Detailed description of the invention
– Write the complete invention in a detailed way.
– It contains introduction of invention, working mechanism, structural composition, usages as well as novelty features with embodiment writings.
– It indirectly covers all other specifications also.
It is the most essential part of the patent drafting. Claims directly reflect the scopes of invention.
– During claims writing, always try to cover whole scope of protection.
– Independent claims should be clear and sufficient to cover more number of scopes.
– Analysis of invention landscaping is also helpful to create new claims.
– Sufficient IP and legal information should be necessarily required for a claim writer.
– It is the brief overview of whole invention.
– Generally, it tells about the technical background and main objective of the invention.
– Word limit for the abstract writing should not be more than 150 words.